Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

We watched the classic film "Mr Smith Goes to Washington" in one of my classes today. I had heard a lot about this film and had always wanted to see it, and today I got my chance.

This film was incredible, and I will tell you why. It is a timeless film, especially during this time when we are learning about corrupt senators associated with Abramoff, and defense contractors, etc. This film is as valid today as it was back in 1939 when it was made. It makes one realize that that perfect, honest idealogue that goes into the black hole known as Washington D.C., becomes corrupt and falls into the money trap. There is a great scene in the film where Jimmy Stewart's character is listening to a veteran senator explain why it is he did what he did. He explains that there has to be compromise in bills brought before the senate, and how things work on the senate floor. It was very telling, and depressing. This is sort of an expose on how things really work in Washington.

Anyway, if you all havent seen it, then put it in your Netflix queue, or go to your local video store and rent it, you wont be sorry.

2 comments:

Matt said...

I have not seen the film, but I will back up DavieBoy's recommendation by adding the fact that it is listed on the American Film Institutes Top 100 Movies of all time, with the likes of Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, The Godfather, etc.

DavieBoy's recommendation, AFI Top 100, Jimmy Stewart, you really can't go wrong here. I plan to see it when I get a chance.

davieboy said...

The next film we watched in class was Casablanca. Wow, I had no idea; the movie blew me away; another excellent choice for you all to watch, I highly reccomend it. The story was very engaging, the acting was superb, I dont know what else to say other than if you have not seen it, rent it.